Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Starry night weekend


We had been planning a weekend break since a long time, but nothing seemed to materialize. Finally one friend suggested we go to Rishikesh for river rafting. It was more than two years since I'd gone, and I couldn't resist going for a second time.


So last weekend I, with five other friends, packed our bags to leave Delhi and forget everything for a while. I was the last one to be picked up, and when we were all together, we just hugged each other, thankful that it's finally happening!


We didn't even realise where the 7 hour drive went. Continuously chatting, listening to music, cracking jokes, eating, sleeping....we didn't discuss anything about our daily lives, probably because we all wanted a break from our stressful routines.


We reached Shivpuri around 2.30 pm, and immidiately changed to hit the water. The ambience of the place was just breathtaking. Mountains, white sand and the Ganges, and around it, a whole cluster of camps. We were far from civilization, and that's all we needed.


We were all strapped up in the raft in the next 30 mins, ready to get some action. The instructor told us what we were supposed to do, and then finally we started off. As we approached the first rapid, we held our breath and wrapped our fingers tighter around the oar. Then as the instructor screamed 'Forward' we all put our entire power and paddled forward. Harder with each stroke. The water was ice cold as it hit our faces, and the raft bobbed threateningly. But it was over soon. And gosh, what a high! We cheered ourselves for our efforts and geared up for the next one.


With each powerful stroke, I could feel myself releasing all my pain, all the stress, all the misery that I'd been holding on to. And overcoming every rapid, felt like an accomplishment. We'd covered close to 20 kms, and boy that's something to be proud of! By the end of it, every lil part of my body ached, but I felt completely at peace.


We drove back to the camp and changed out of our soggy clothes. It was getting really chilly, and I was glad I'd carried my woolens. And when we stepped out of the tent, the sight that greeted us took our breath away. We looked up and saw zillions of stars, twinkling away in the sky. It was so beautiful, it didn't seem real. It was as if some one had sprinkled all the world's diamonds on the black velvety sky. We were speechless for a while and just kept gazing up, in awe. At that moment, I realized my own troubles meant nothing. Nothing at all. Why was I sad, when there's so much beauty and joy around me. I found myself wishing I could stay here forever. Just laying on the white sand and gazing at the stars that were there only for me. I felt one with the universe and nothing could break me down.


Needless to say, I was heartbroken the day we left. I knew it was going to be back to the same old, stressful rat race of life. But I also knew that life can be better; life is good, and that I'm taking all of God's creation with me, forming memories that would last for a lifetime.

12 comments:

milo said...

you know we dint speak much throughout the trip... but it ws silence that was holding us strong...

All that i had and have fr u is tight hugs... for evry liitle n homungous thing u mean to me...

i jes wish that you get btr n btr wid each passin day... and happiness surrounds you forever.... hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhhh, thats so refreshin to go to such a cool place in the arms of nature. makes u forget everything...............

huggzz

Ashu

R said...

I'd KILL for a weekend (and you know what I mean... er, although, 'already?' :P)

But anyway, its been a year I went there and MAN do I MISS IT. While reading your post just my experience kept hitting me.

Am glad you had fun. Just make sure you stay fresh. :)

Stone said...

Awesome, that brought back lot of memories!!

We all are nothing but a bundle of thoughts, and trips like that help in untying lot of knots!

-Poison- said...

what more can one ask for. :)
and 20 km!! u guys r amazing!

desperado said...

Rishikesh is awesome....i would say the whole of Uttaranchal is :)

Life is good for sure girl..keep smiling n take care

Mirage said...

@Milo: I guess we dont need words to communicate :) Just hugs would do! *Hugs*

@Ashu: Sure does! :)

@Rohit: Sure took my mind off a LOT of stuff... :)

@Stone: Oh yes...! I wish we could go out every weekend!

@Dhruv: It really was beautiful :) Wish we get more chances to explore it!
@Poison: *Bows* Thankyou! :D

@

annie said...

Jey am J..awwwww even i wanna holiday wid frds soooooooon.U makin me feel friend-sick now:)

annie said...

* Hey i am J

KP said...

great u njoyed days off....never been there...may be in the future....

Saurabh said...

is this pic clicked by a cam or picked up from internet... you turning out to be a gr8 photographer...

gud gud

Yuppie said...

hey thanks for stoppin by de blog.. commentin here bcoz of two reasons one is obvious this happened to be de first post two is more obvious its "awesome". Now wat would i not give for a gr8 weekend wid my frnds..

p.s : i believe u kno my frnd arvind aka cherubic_chipmunk well..